Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Mixed feelings about online education

This post was originally part of my epic last entry for the Harvard Extended blog, but I have decided to split it off and post it here, too.

It's a criticism of the Harvard Extension School's aggressive expansion into online/distance education. It's difficult for me to express, considering a good friend in the ALB program is completing his degree remotely. In addition, I have never taken an online class for credit at the Extension School -– all of my graduate coursework was completed in person on Harvard's campus. Still, I work with online technologies every day, and have given this issue a great deal of thought. You may not agree with my views, but at least hear me out.

I feel the Extension School's distance education push has gone too far. It's one thing for the Extension School to offer online lectures to people who want to sample Harvard's incredible faculty and course offerings. But permitting students in some programs to get most of their degree credit sitting in front of a computer terminal, often with few opportunities for direct interaction with faculty and classmates, is a mistake. Two of the Extension School's most popular degree programs -- the undergraduate ALB and graduate ALM in IT -- allow students to complete 88% and 90% of their coursework online, respectively. Students can earn certificates in environmental management or applied sciences without ever stepping foot inside a Harvard classroom.
the distance education window. Source: HES website, Sept. 3 2008I don't doubt the drive or abilities of these students (after all, some ALB candidates get better grades than their Harvard College counterparts in shared classes) but I am questioning the degree to which the Extension School has embraced for-credit online classes as an alternate means of educating students and awarding degrees. At the same time, I accept that the Internet offers benefits that are impossible to realize in the Extension School's real-world campus. Do the benefits outweigh the drawbacks? I am not convinced that they do – at least not yet.

Neil Rudenstine, Source: Harvard News OfficeThe Internet and its role in education have been discussed for many years at Harvard. In May of 1996, in an address to the First Harvard University Conference on the Internet and Society, President Neil Rudenstine recognized that the Internet was not just another mass media or communications technology, like the telegraph, radio, or television. In the educational sphere, the Internet represented a "real transformation." It was a technology that broadened access to data and course materials, reinforced methods of study, and enabled the sharing of knowledge in new and exciting ways:
"We know that the constant exchange of ideas and opinions among students -- as well as faculty -- is one of the oldest and most important forms of education. ... The Internet allows this process of dialogue -- of conversational learning -- to be transferred easily and flexibly into electronic form. Communication can be carried on at all hours, across distances, with people who are on-campus or off-campus."
(Source: Neil L. Rudenstine, Pointing Our Thoughts. Harvard University Press, 2001, 123.)

For students at the Extension School, the Internet has certainly provided a special link. None of us live on campus. Many of us don't even live in Boston or Cambridge. Email, instant messaging, and the Web have provided connections to the school and to each other. These technologies have brought us closer, and they have also empowered us. My own thesis would have been impossible out without the Web. I used it to access HOLLIS and the LexisNexis Academic service, download text analysis software, and pass drafts back and forth with my thesis director while he traveled between Cambridge, Washington, and China. This blog is a product of the Web revolution, as is ExtensionStudent.com, where students and alumni gather to discuss classes, share advice, and debate issues relating to the Extension School.

But I am skeptical that distance education based on asynchronous Internet technologies (i.e., prerecorded video, online forums, and email) is a substitute for live classroom discussion and other on-campus interaction. Distance education students can't raise their hands to ask instructors questions or participate in discussions, and it's difficult or impossible for them to take advantage of faculty office hours. Teaching assistants don't always respond to email, and online class discussion boards can be neglected by students and faculty alike. In this sense, the "process of dialogue" is actually limited by technology. The main benefits of distance education become issues of convenience and access – being able to watch lectures at any time from any location, replay important sections, and see lectures by professors who otherwise don't teach live classes at the Extension School.

President Rudenstine saw some of these limitations. "No one should believe that electronic communication can be -- or should be -- a substitute for direct human contact," he said in his 1996 address. He stated that some technologies "permit an extension of the scope, continuity, and even the quality of certain forms of interaction," but added "communication over the network lacks other absolutely essential aspects of ‘real' conversations in the presence of ‘real' people."

Since then, the University has treaded very cautiously with online education. There have been a few isolated initiatives, and online video lectures and downloadable course materials are offered to Harvard alumni. But only the Extension School has made a serious attempt to develop an online curriculum and allow some students who live in other states or other countries to complete the majority of their classes remotely. Every year I see an increase in the number of online options, and the HES website currently boasts more than 100 online classes, out of more than 600 total.

This leads me to ask: If Harvard's other professional schools -– not to mention practically every other institute of higher education in America -- fail to regard online education as an acceptable substitute for in-class instruction, then why does the Extension School put them on the same plane? In the absence of any official explanation, I will offer my own speculation:
  1. The school really believes the convenience of online education and the chance to expose students to special Harvard faculty outweigh the disadvantages outlined above. If this is the case, the Extension School has failed to communicate or explain its reasoning, other than offering feel-good marketing copy ("Harvard Caliber, Course Credit") on the HES website. Also, if the DCE feels that distance education is an acceptable substitute for in-person instruction, then why do certain degree programs (such as my own, the ALM/Liberal Arts) insist on a much higher level of in-class experience than the ALB and ALM in IT?
  2. Opening up the course catalogue to out-of-state and international students has greatly expanded the Extension School's customer base, and increased revenues. The interest in these programs is huge -- every week, my Web traffic stats for Harvard Extended show visitors from all over the world searching for terms like "Harvard online MBA" and "Harvard online degree." The Extension School does not offer an online MBA, and the undergraduate ALB requires 16 out of 128 credits to be taken on campus, but no matter: The course offerings, the Harvard brand, and the possibility of completing between 50% and 90% of certain degrees' class requirements online are attractive enough for thousands of people take HES distance education classes casually or for credit. This has generated many millions of dollars in revenue for the Extension School over the last 10 years. However, it's not clear whether annual revenue is enough to offset costs -- distance education classes require a great deal of coordination to prepare and teach, not to mention significant hardware and software investments (hosting, editing, cameras, etc.)
  3. Distance education dovetails with the Harvard Extension School's mission to offer Harvard's educational resources to members of the community. Dean Shinagel references this in his welcome message on the HES website, noting that "we stand ready to serve the community, be it local or global."
  4. Harvard recognizes that the Internet is going to fundamentally transform education, and it wants to be prepared for the inevitable revolution. The Extension School has become Harvard's laboratory of sustained innovation and experimentation for distance education technologies and best practices.
The last theory is a stretch, but it intrigues me the most. The Internet has already transformed many aspects of society and human communication, and it's not unreasonable to imagine a future in which people participate in "conversational learning" and the "process of dialogue" even if they are not physically sitting at desks in the same room as their professors and classmates.

CyberLaw, offered by the Extension School and Berkman Center. Source: video vidi visum : virtual learning, teaching, and virtual technologies blogIn fact, I agree with this vision. I just don't think it can be realized with streaming video, email, and online discussion forums alone.

Virtual worlds offer some hope for making highly interactive distance education a reality, and in fact the Extension School is a pioneer in this field, thanks to a partnership with the Harvard Law School's Berkman Center for Internet and Society. But, as of mid-2008, the virtual world platforms and applications used for distance education are only halfway there. The interfaces are difficult to use, the environments are hard to build and prone to unexpected problems in terms of behavior and connectivity, and in-world meetings can't scale. This technology definitely is not ready for large-scale adoption (Disclosure: I am a board member of the non-profit Immersive Education initiative, which is trying to develop and promote virtual world technologies and best practices for education).

Where does that leave the Extension School? Certainly, it's in a great position to capitalize on powerful technology and social trends, and potentially become a model for Harvard's other schools. But in the meantime, the technology is just not there. While I believe distance education is a worthy experiment, it is not a substitute for real-world instruction and discussion, and mostly online degrees should not be a part of a part of the Extension School's offerings.

Later this month, I'll be taking my first online class, Michael Sandel's Justice. It won't be for credit, but will give me some more insights into distance education. Maybe it will even change my mind. I also welcome other Extension School students to post their own thoughts on distance education below. What are some of the benefits and drawbacks that I missed? Can anyone describe what the academic research says about distance education? Am I being unfair to the Extension School and students working remotely? To what degree should distance education for credit be allowed using current technologies? What is the future of online education?

Update: I have written about my own experience with distance education after sampling a class through the Harvard Alumni Association. See "Follow-up: My online education experience".

2nd update: See my critique of Dean Shinagel's views of online education at the Extension School, based on his new book, The Gates Unbarred.

3 comments:

  1. I have taken both traditional university classes and on line classes. Personally, the interaction betweeen instructor and students is more in depth and at liberty on line. The students communicate and learn from each other on line, in class the conversations are limited or students are intimidated to interrupt the professor, or look like a show off. On line is turning the page to the future and we are going to have to adjust even though the baby boomers were raised differently...Technology is advancing rapidly and helping people progess, for example Iran's people has the world more aware of their government's treatment of them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I for one think that the evaluation above is a bit dated. At this moment, I am completing my last couple of classes for my freshman year at U of Phoenix, and though the students in the first perhaps 4 classes could not find their own feet with roadmaps, a GPS and an OnStar subscription, they have gotten INSANELY better by this part of the cycle, in my opinion. The classes are getting better as well, the textbooks are reasonable in their conclusions. The Syllabi are not always in accordance with the assignments and grading rubrics, unfortunately (something that has been an issue in every single class), because of all the updates to the curriculum lately allegedly. I am still running a 3.8-3.9 for my average overall, however. I am a bit of an overachiever so I am not surprised by that, but still, it does take some effort. I have seen many other students drop, and some have privately told me that they are failing, so it is not just me coasting through. Some of those students that are getting 70-80 percentage grades are relatively sharp, but are missing the occasional writing composition issue, or are not doing the work on occasion, and it costs them. All that said, I am probably moving to University of Tennessee at Martin (very close to me, a ground campus) for the Spring term, and likely finishing up my Bachelors' there, mostly because it is a ground campus and articles like yours concern me as to how well a Phoenix degree will be accepted by employers. For background, I am 45 and started my college education in Feb 2012. I also have some SMART credits transferred in, but they all affect next year's courses (I scheduled it that way so that I could CLEP out of some of the classes but still get a good feel for this school). I like the online environment, don't mistake my intentions, I am just thinking that the ground based campus will be better received among employers, that is all. I don't want to get a 3.9 and still not be accepted as a graduate, THAT would be horrific, especially at my age, as I don't have time to do it over. Harvard is an interesting option I had not considered, because I did not know they had an online component, however, I don't live close enough to attend the in-person portion, so I suppose they are not available for me, if your article is understood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted a few moments ago about U of P and my first year experience there. I forgot to add something. I have had NO problem the entire time in communicating with course facilitators. NONE. I also have had no problem with the online forums. Everything has worked as it was supposed to, no papers were "lost" or graded badly, and I have not had to chase down a single TA or facilitator to get information that was accurate. I have had some occasion to disagree with them, and after a few civil exchanges of posts in the individual forum section, we always worked something out with no negative issues or ego issues on either side that I noticed. I cannot say the same for what I have been told of instructors in walk-in campuses (campi??). As I wrote, I have not attended an in person school yet. I can say that if UT Martin turns out to be a pain and the instructors prove to be impossible with which to deal, and if I cannot maintain a reasonable average because some instructor's ego makes them unable to deal with a differing opinion on a complex issue when the opinion is well supported and when the instructor agrees that it is factually and logically valid (yet dismisses it anyway because it does not merge with the political or social view of that specific instructor) I will change back to an online campus someplace, and maybe U of Phoenix again, for that matter, depending on my options at that time. I have heard of those sorts of issues as well from co-workers who went to college.

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be reviewed before being published. Spam, off-topic or hateful comments will be removed.